Randolph K. Repass and Sally-Christine Rodgers University Professor of Conservation Technology in the Nicholas School of the Environment and the Edmund T. Pratt, Jr. School of Engineering
Alaska’s Glaciers and the Inside Passage
Vancouver to Juneau Exclusively Chartered, Five-Star, Small Ship M.S. LE SOLEAL
Date: Sat, July 13, 2019 - Sat, July 20, 2019
Trip Status: Taking Reservations
Price: from approximately $4,295 per person
Activity Level: Moderate
Region: North America
Arrangements: Thomas P. Gohagan & Co.Download the brochure
Join this one-of-a-kind, seven-night, exploration-style cruise through the Inside Passage from Vancouver to Juneau during the long days of summer. The exclusively chartered, Five-Star, small ship Le Soléal navigates isolated inlets and coves inaccessible to larger vessels, offering a superior viewing experience and bringing you up close to the most spectacular scenery of Canada and southeastern Alaska. During naturalist-led Zodiac excursions and from the comfort of your own spacious, ocean-view Suite or Stateroom, see Arctic‑blue glaciers, towering mountains, untouched coastlines and abundant wildlife—whales, harbor seals, porpoises, sea lions, sea otters and eagles in their natural habitat. Experience the unspoiled Inian Islands, seldom-visited Misty Fjords National Monument (weather permitting) and dramatic Tracy Arm Fjord. Call at the historic fishing towns of Sitka, Petersburg, and Ketchikan, where you will step back into the gold rush era and discover the living heritage of the indigenous Tlingit people. An onboard team of naturalists provides a series of lectures focused on the local wildlife and landscapes. Vancouver and Victoria Pre-Cruise Option and Denali National Park, Fairbanks and Anchorage Post-Cruise Option.
Vancouver, Alaska’s Magnificent Glaciers and Inside Passage, Ketchikan, Petersburg, Sitka, Tracy Arm, Juneau
- Depart home city/Arrive Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada/Embark Le Soléal
- Cruising the Inside Passage
- Ketchikan, Alaska, U.S./Misty Fjords National Monument (weather permitting)
- LeConte Bay/Petersburg
- Elfin Cove Point/ Inian Islands/Adolphus
- Endicott Arm/Dawes Glacier/Tracy Arm Fjord/Sawyer Glacier
- Juneau/Disembark ship/Return to home city
*Cruise itinerary subject to change.
- Five-Star accommodations, exploration-style itinerary, the best way to experience the last of the great American frontiers.
- Exclusively chartered, Five‑Star, small ship Le Soléal calls on ports inaccessible to larger vessels.
- Up-close perspective of southeastern Alaska’s natural beauty—cruise along glaciers and through secluded coves and inlets of the Inside Passage, accessible only by small ship.
- See North America’s tidewater glacial jewels, including South Sawyer and Dawes Glaciers.
- Experience the unexpected—a pod of whales feeding, seals basking on icebergs, bald eagles soaring above—as your small ship can linger or alter course for better wildlife observation.
- Incredible natural wonders every day—wildlife spotting, Zodiac excursions up close to glaciers, narrow fjord cruises.
- Complimentary alcoholic and nonalcoholic beverages are available throughout the cruise; all meals are included aboard ship and throughout the program.
- Visits to the Alaskan frontier towns of Ketchikan, Petersburg and Sitka.
- Specially arranged expert lecturers on board.
- Complimentary Wi-Fi on board the ship.
- Vancouver and Victoria Pre-Cruise Option and Denali National Park, Anchorage and Fairbanks Post-Cruise Option.
Vancouver and Victoria Pre-Cruise Option
Surrounded by water on three sides, Vancouver is a coastal jewel of the Pacific Northwest. Its ideal setting combines a diverse ecosystem and a vibrant cosmopolitan atmosphere—rich in art and culture gleaned from the indigenous people of the Pacific Northwest and Alaska—to form a spectacular city. Visit Vancouver Island and Butchart Gardens, a National Historic Site of Canada that was once a private estate and today is one of the most beautiful gardens in North America. Tour elegant Victoria, a former British Empire port that still retains a charming English accent as well as wonderfully restored 19th-century architecture. In Vancouver, see historic Chinatown, famous Stanley Park and the 19th-century Gastown District and explore the Public Market and native artisans’ studios at Granville Island. Accommodations for two nights are in the deluxe
Westin Bayshore Hotel.
Denali National Park, Anchorage and Fairbanks
Join this exclusive, specially arranged and comprehensive four-night opportunity to further explore America’s amazing last frontier. Travel deep into Alaska’s Interior for the perfect conclusion to your Inside Passage voyage. Experience fully what Alaska offers at the best time of year, when summer days are long, and a dreamlike dusk extends past midnight.
In Juneau, visit the mighty Mendenhall Glacier, one of 38 glaciers leading to the Juneau Icefield. Then, fly to Anchorage for one night in a city that balances urban comforts with the call of the wild.
Visit the Iditarod Trail Headquarters and enjoy the scenery en route to the pristine wilderness of Denali National Park, home to North America’s tallest peak at over 20,000 feet high. Spend two nights in a comfortable lodge just outside this splendid and unspoiled six‑million‑acre national park. Learn about Denali’s ecosystem and journey into its heart, where an expert from the Murie Science and Learning Center will guide and assist you in spotting and identifying the amazing wildlife––moose, bears, caribou, wolves, Dall sheep and raptors––in their protected natural habitat.
Traverse through rolling green tundra aboard a domed train offering stunning 360-degree views of the majestic landscape––mountains, gorges and spruce forests––to the “Golden Heart” city of Fairbanks. Spend two nights in this frontier city, founded upon the outbreak of gold-rush fever at the turn of the 20th century. Cruise the fabled Chena and Tanana Rivers aboard a traditional sternwheeler, see the incredible Trans‑Alaska Pipeline and visit the galleries of the renowned Museum of the North.
Pre-Cruise and Post-Cruise Options are available at additional cost. Details will be provided with your reservation confirmation.
Reservations and Information
To reserve, complete a registration form in the brochure and fax it to (919) 660-0148 or call (919) 684-2988 to reserve conveniently over the phone.
To learn more about our travel program or any of our upcoming trips, please contact us at email@example.com or 919-684-2988
Mode of Travel
Five-Star, Small Ship ms Le Soléal
Small Ship, State-of-the-Art Design
The exclusively chartered Five-Star, Le Soléal features only 110 Suites and Staterooms, distinctive French sophistication and complimentary Wi-Fi throughout the ship.
Elegantly Appointed Suites and Staterooms, 94% with Private Balconies
Each air-conditioned, deluxe Stateroom and Suite (200 to 484 square feet) features a private bathroom with shower, luxurious Five‑Star hotel amenities and minibar with complimentary beverages; most have two twin beds that convert into one queen bed. Enjoy accommodation amenities including individual climate control, satellite flat‑screen television, safe, full-length closet, writing desk/dressing table, plush robes and slippers.
Chic and Casual Dining
International and regional cuisine is served in the stylish, spacious L’Eclipse dining room in single, unassigned seatings; alfresco in the casual Pytheas restaurant; or from 24‑hour room service. Complimentary alcoholic and nonalcoholic beverages are available throughout the cruise. Continental and buffet breakfasts, buffet lunch, afternoon tea and a four‑course dinner is served daily. Wine is served with lunch and dinner.
Spacious Public Areas/World-Class Service and Facilities
In keeping with the low passenger density, the public areas are spacious and inviting, and they can accommodate all passengers comfortably. Enjoy views from the Panoramic Lounge; nightly entertainment in the Main Lounge; and lectures, cultural performances or film screenings in the state‑of‑the‑art theater. There is a library, Internet salon, Sun Deck with open-air bar, swimming pool, beauty salon, spa, Turkish bath‑style steam room, full range of fitness equipment, two elevators and an infirmary staffed with a doctor and a nurse. The highly trained and personable, English‑speaking, international crew provides attentive service.
Respect for the Environment
The state-of-the-art propulsion system and custom-built stabilizers provide an exceptionally smooth, quiet and comfortable voyage. By design, the ship is energy efficient and environmentally protective of marine ecosystems and has been awarded the prestigious “Clean Ship” designation due to its advanced eco-friendly features, a rarity among ocean-cruising vessels. The ship has two tenders and 10 Zodiacs.
On board the exclusively chartered, Five-Star, small ship Le Soléal
- Eight-day voyage from Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, to Juneau, Alaska, U.S., through the magnificent Inside Passage, featuring Ketchikan, Misty Fjords National Monument, LeConte Bay, Petersburg, Sitka, Elfin Cove, Inian Islands, Point Adolphus, Endicott Arm, Dawes Glacier, Tracy Arm Fjord and South Sawyer Glacier,.
- Elegantly appointed, Five-Star Suite or Stateroom, each with a private bathroom.
- Captain’s Welcome and Farewell Receptions.
- Complimentary alcoholic and nonalcoholic beverages are available throughout the cruise.
- All meals—early continental breakfast, buffet breakfast, buffet lunch, afternoon tea and dinner—throughout the cruise, featuring fine international and regional cuisine, served at single, unassigned seatings.
- Wine is served with lunch and dinner.
- Complimentary Wi-Fi throughout the ship.
- Rarely traveled waters of the Alaskan and British Columbian Inside Passage, one of the most spectacular coastal waterways in the world.
- Team of expert naturalists who provide a series of onboard lectures about local wildlife and topography and help you identify the natural wonders and wildlife of the Inside Passage.
- Tour of historic Ketchikan, “salmon capital of the world,” and its famous gold rush-era Creek Street.
- Visit to Potlatch Totem Park in Ketchikan to experience native Alaskan culture.
- Cruise through dramatic Misty Fjords National Monument (weather permitting).
- Naturalist-guided Zodiac excursion into LeConte Bay for a spectacular cruise among icebergs.
- Visit to the vibrant fishing village of Petersburg, Alaska’s “Little Norway.”
- Visit to picturesque Sitka, once the “capital of Russian America,” to see St. Michael’s Cathedral and its priceless Russian Orthodox icons and to tour the Alaska Raptor Center.
- Visit to the remote fishing village of Elfin Cove on pristine Chichagof Island, with time at leisure.
- Expert-guided Zodiac excursion through the marine‑life‑rich waters of the captivating Inian Islands.
- Humpback whale watching near Point Adolphus.
- Zodiac excursion to the tidal Dawes Glacier and harbor seal watching in seldom‑visited Endicott Arm.
- Scenic cruise into stunning Tracy Arm Fjord featuring a naturalist-led Zodiac excursion to the South Sawyer Glacier.
- Transfers and luggage handling abroad if your arrival(s)/departure(s) coincide with the scheduled group transfer(s).
- Experienced, local guides for included excursions.
- Gratuities to local guides and drivers and naturalists on included excursions and transfers and to ship personnel.
- Complimentary bottled water in your Suite and on excursions.
- Hospitality desk aboard ship.
- Experienced Gohagan & Company Travel Directors at your service.
- Complimentary use of an audio headset during guided excursions.
Automatic $250,000 flight insurance policy for each participant ticketed on flights by Gohagan & Company.