Professor Emeritus of History
Odyssey of Ancient Civilizations
Cruising the Adriatic and Aegean Seas
Date: Sun, September 15, 2019 - Mon, September 23, 2019
Trip Status: Taking Reservations
Price: from approximately $4,395 per person
Activity Level: Moderate
Arrangements: Thomas P. Gohagan & Co.Download the brochure
Cruise from picture-perfect Venice along the stunning Dalmatian coast and through the Corinth Canal to Athens. Enjoy a custom-designed, seven-night itinerary aboard the exclusively chartered, Five-Star, small ship Le Lyrial, featuring balconies in most of its ocean-view Suites and Staterooms. Visit five countries and six UNESCO World Heritage sites, exploring the influence of the Roman, Greek, Byzantine, Venetian and Slavic civilizations on this comprehensive program including ports inaccessible to larger vessels, such as Hvar, Korčula and the Bay of Kotor. In Croatia, tour Split’s Roman Diocletian’s Palace and Dubrovnik’s beautifully restored, 15th-century walled city; Kotor’s medieval fortifications and architecture in Montenegro; the remarkable archaeological site of Butrint, Albania; and, in Greece, Corfu’s Old Town, rooted in the eighth century B.C., and the sacred ancient Greek site of Delphi. To further enhance your cruise, enjoy an exclusive Coastal Life® Forum with local residents and a folk music performance. Venice Pre-Cruise Option and Athens Post-Cruise Options are offered.
Venice, Dalmatian Coast, Bay of Kotor, Albania, Corfu, Delphi, Corinth Canal, Athens
- Depart the U.S. or Canada
- Venice, Italy/Embark Le Lyrial
- Split, Croatia
- Kotor, Montenegro
- Sarandë, Albania for Butrint/Corfu, Greece
- Itea for Delphi/Corinth Canal Cruise
- Athens/Disembark ship/Return to the U.S. or Canada
*Cruise itinerary subject to change.
- Unique, exclusively chartered, seven-night cruise.
- Five-Star small ship launched in 2015, with access to ports unavailable to larger vessels.
- Comprehensive itinerary featuring the islands and villages of the Dalmatian Coast; fjord-like Bay of Kotor; Greco-Roman treasures of Butrint, Albania; classical sites of Corfu and Delphi; and, for small ships only, passage through the Corinth Canal.
- Exclusive Coastal Life® Forum for interaction with local residents.
- Included excursion in each port.
- Complimentary alcoholic and nonalcoholic beverages throughout the cruise; all meals are included aboard ship.
- Visit five countries and up to eight UNESCO World Heritage sites.
- Complimentary Wi-Fi throughout the ship.
- Unpack just once!
- Venice Pre-Cruise and Athens Post-Cruise Options.
- Excellent value for a Five-Star small ship—sells out!
Quintessential Venice Pre-Cruise Option
An extraordinary architectural masterpiece, from the marble Bridge of Sighs to the Byzantine opulence of St. Mark’s Basilica, the Italian city of Venice is one of the world’s premier cities for art and architecture. Tour the heart of this UNESCO World Heritage site, including the Gothic-style Doge’s Palace and the Gallerie dell’Accademia. Accommodations are for two nights in an ideally located hotel close to Piazza San Marco.
Wonders of Ancient Athens Post-Cruise Option
Enjoy two nights in Athens, the birthplace of democracy and an ancient city unmatched in its contributions to the foundations of the Western world. Admire the beauty of Greece’s capital city and explore the glories of ancient Greece, including the magnificent Acropolis, a UNESCO World Heritage site. Accommodations for two nights are in a deluxe hotel.
The Pre-Cruise and Post-Cruise Options are available at additional cost. Details will be provided with your reservation confirmation
Reservations and Information
To reserve, complete a registration form in the brochure and fax it to (919) 660-0148 or call (919) 684-2988 to reserve conveniently over the phone.
To learn more about our travel program or any of our upcoming trips, please contact us at email@example.com or 919-684-2988
Mode of Travel
The exclusively chartered Le Lyrial, launched in 2015, represents the newest generation of Five-Star small ships, featuring only 110 Suites and Staterooms, distinctive French sophistication and complimentary Wi-Fi throughout the ship.
Elegantly Appointed Suites and Staterooms, 95% with Private Balconies
Each air-conditioned deluxe Stateroom and Suite (200 to 592 square feet), features a private bathroom with shower, luxurious Five-Star hotel amenities and minibar with complimentary beverages; most have two twin beds that convert into one queen bed. Enjoy accommodation amenities including individual climate control, satellite flat-screen television, safe, full-length closet, writing desk/dressing table, plush robes and slippers.
Chic and Casual Dining
International and regional cuisine is served in the stylish, spacious Le Céleste dining room in single, unassigned seatings; alfresco in the casual Le Cométe Restaurant; or from 24-hour room service. Complimentary alcoholic and nonalcoholic beverages are available throughout the cruise. Continental and buffet breakfasts, buffet lunch, afternoon tea and a four-course dinner are served daily. Wine is served with lunch and dinner.
Spacious Public Areas/ World-Class Service and Facilities
In keeping with the low passenger density, the public areas are spacious and inviting, and they can accommodate all passengers comfortably. Enjoy views from the Panoramic Lounge; nightly entertainment in the Main Lounge; and lectures, cultural performances or film screenings in the state-of-the-art theater. The ship has a library, Internet suite, Sun Deck with open-air bar, swimming pool, beauty salon, spa, Turkish bath-style steam room, full range of fitness equipment, two elevators and an infirmary staffed with a doctor and a nurse. The highly trained and personable, English-speaking, international crew provides attentive service.
Respect for the Environment
The state-of-the-art propulsion system and custom-built stabilizers provide an exceptionally smooth, quiet and comfortable voyage. By design, the ship is energy efficient and environmentally protective of marine ecosystems and has been awarded the prestigious “Clean Ship” designation due to its advanced eco-friendly features, a rarity among ocean-cruising vessels. The ship has two tenders.
On board the exclusively chartered, Five-Star, small ship Le Lyrial
- Seven-night cruise from Venice, Italy, to Athens, Greece, with port calls in Split, Hvar, the island of Korčula and Dubrovnik, Croatia; Kotor, Montenegro; Sarandë for Butrint, Albania; and the island of Corfu and Itea for Delphi, Greece.
- Elegantly appointed, Five-Star Suite or Stateroom, each with a private bathroom.
- Captain’s Welcome and Farewell Receptions.
- Complimentary alcoholic and nonalcoholic beverages are available throughout the cruise.
- All meals—early continental breakfast, buffet breakfast, buffet lunch, afternoon tea and dinner—throughout the cruise, featuring fine international and regional cuisine, served at single, unassigned seatings.
- Wine is served with lunch and dinner.
- Complimentary Wi-Fi throughout the ship.
- Tour of Split, featuring a visit to the thriving community living within Diocletian’s fourth-century palace, a UNESCO World Heritage site.
- Walking tour of Hvar’s Old Town including visits to the Benedictine Convent and St. Stephen’s Cathedral.
- Tour the picturesque island of Korcˇula including a visit to the 17th-century Abbey Treasury.
- Walking tour of the walled city of Dubrovnik, a UNESCO World Heritage site, including visits to the Rector’s Palace and the Maritime Museum.
- Walking tour of medieval Kotor, a UNESCO World Heritage site.
- Tour of the Delphi Archaeological Museum.
Exclusive Cultural Enrichments
- Visit to Split’s Meˇstrovi´c Gallery, home and atelier of Croatia’s renowned creative genius, Ivan Meˇstrovi´c.
- Specially arranged Coastal Life® Forum where local residents will discuss daily life along the Adriatic.
- Specially arranged, private, traditional Croatian a cappella klapa performance.
- Time at leisure to explore the stunning UNESCO World Heritage sites of Kotor and Dubrovnik.
- Tour of the Greco-Roman ruins of Butrint, a UNESCO World Heritage site.
- Walking tour of Corfu’s UNESCO World Heritage-designated Old Town.
- Excursion to Mount Parnassus to see the UNESCO World Heritage site of the glorious Oracle of Delphi and the iconic Temple of Apollo.
- Rare cruise through the historic Corinth Canal, the storied link between the Peloponnese and Greek mainland.
- Transfers and luggage handling abroad if your arrival(s)/departure(s) coincide with the scheduled group transfer(s).
- Experienced, English-speaking local guides for included excursions.
- Gratuities to local guides and drivers on included excursions and transfers.
- Complimentary bottled water in your Suite or Stateroom and on excursions.
- Hospitality desk aboard ship.
- Experienced Gohagan & Company Program Directors at your service.
- Complimentary use of an audio headset during guided excursions.
Automatic $250,000 flight insurance policy for each participant ticketed on flights by Gohagan & Company.