Associate Professor of History
Scottish Isles and Norwegian Fjords
Aboard the Exclusively Chartered Five-Star Expedition Ship M.S LE CHAMPLAIN Featuring Norway’s Flåm Railway
Date: Sun, May 30, 2021 - Sun, June 6, 2021
Trip Status: Waiting for the brochure
Activity Level: Moderate
Arrangements: Thomas P. Gohagan & Co.
Norwegian Fjords, Shetland Islands, Orkney Islands, Isle of Skye, Scottish Highlands
- Depart the U.S. or Canada
- Bergen, Norway/Embark Le Champlain
- Cruising the Norwegian Fjords/Flåm Railway
- Lerwick, Shetland Islands, Scotland, for prehistoric site of Jarlshof
- Kirkwall, Orkney Islands, for Ring of Brodgar and Skara Brae
- Kyle of Lochalsh for Isle of Skye
- Fort William and the Scottish Highlands
- Glasgow/Disembark ship/Return to the U.S. or Canada
- Introducing the extraordinary Blue Eye, the world’s first multisensory, underwater observation lounge.
- Uniquely designed itinerary available only through
- Gohagan & Company—all excursions included.
- Exclusively chartered cruise aboard the new Five-Star expedition ship Champlain, accessing ports unavailable to larger vessels.
- Private balcony for every Suite and Stateroom.
- Only 92 Suites and Staterooms.
- Specially arranged ride on Norway’s Flåm Railway—one of the world’s most scenic rail journeys.
- Explore the Inner Hebridean, Orkney and Shetland Islands.
- See the Orkney Islands’ Neolithic monuments—the Ring of Brodgar and Skara Brae, both UNESCO World Heritage sites—and the Shetland Islands’ 5000-year-old prehistoric site of Jarlshof.
- Specially arranged lecture by Nick Card, Ness of Brodgar’s director and head archaeologist.
- Ample time in picturesque Bergen, featuring Bryggen,
- its UNESCO World Heritage-designated Old Wharf.
- Complimentary alcoholic and nonalcoholic beverages throughout the cruise and complimentary Wi-Fi aboard ship.
- Wonders of Norway and Copenhagen Pre-Cruise Option and Edinburgh and Glasgow Post-Cruise Option.
Scotland’s Cultural Capitals
Glasgow◆ Edinburgh Post-Cruise Option
The Pre- and Post-Cruise Options are available at additional cost. Details will be provided with your reservation confirmation
Reservations and Information
To reserve, complete a registration form in the brochure and fax it to (919) 660-0148 or call (919) 684-2988 to reserve conveniently over the phone.
To learn more about our travel program or any of our upcoming trips, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 919-684-2988
Mode of Travel
Le Champlain Luxury Expedition Ships, Innovative Design
The Le Champlain ushers in a new generation of Five-Star small ships, combining revolutionary design and a new standard of luxury for an unparalleled expedition cruising experience to be launched in 2018. Venture where no ships have gone before, remote destinations where authentic encounters with captivating cultures, spectacular wildlife and majestic scenery await you.
Blue Eye The World’s First Luxury Underwater Observatory
Exclusive to the Ponant Explorer Fleet is the extraordinary Blue Eye, a multisensory underwater observation lounge that incorporates bionic and biomimetic decor and technology to immerse you in the beauty of the ocean’s ecosystem. Observe fascinating marine life, from melodic whales and graceful dolphins to majestic sea turtles and translucent jellyfish through the large subaquatic windows, enhanced by underwater illumination that runs the length of the ship. Digital screens and the specially designed global listening system relay the sights and sounds beneath the surface of the ocean.
Respect for the Environment
The newest additions to a fleet that has been awarded the prestigious “Clean Ship” designation,
a rarity among ocean‑cruising vessels, the ships are designed with energy efficient, advanced
eco-friendly features that protect fragile marine ecosystems while providing a safe and comfortable voyage.
92 Elegant Suites and Staterooms, 100% with Private Balconies
Each Five-Star Stateroom and Suite (up to 484 square feet) features a private balcony. Grand Deluxe Suites have a bay window and spacious private terrace. Accommodations offer two twin beds or one queen bed, individual climate control and luxurious hotel amenities.
Chic and Casual Dining
Dine indoors or alfresco on international and regional cuisine served in the stylish, spacious indoor‑outdoor restaurant, at the casual pool deck grill or from 24‑hour room service. Daily meals include continental and buffet breakfasts, buffet lunch, afternoon tea and a four‑course dinner.
Spacious Environment, Intimate Atmosphere
Inspired by the natural and nautical worlds, the warm and inviting public areas are marked by a refined elegance. Enjoy sweeping views from the lounges, which open to the outdoors, and lectures, cultural performances or film screenings in the state‑of‑the‑art theater. Relax in the spa and sauna rooms or the Sun Deck’s infinity-style swimming pool. Each ship has a beauty salon, fitness room and, for your convenience, two elevators. Complimentary Wi-Fi is available throughout the ship.
The highly trained, English‑speaking crew are personable and attentive, and the ship has an infirmary staffed with a doctor and nurse.
On board the exclusively chartered, Five-Star, small ship Le Champlain
- Seven-night voyage from Glasgow, Scotland, to Bergen, Norway, with port calls at Fort William for the Scottish Highlands; Kyle of Lochalsh; Portree, Isle of Skye; Kirkwall, Orkney Islands; and Lerwick, Shetland Islands, Scotland; and Flåm for the Flåm Railway, Norway; and featuring a cruise of Norway’s fjords.
- Elegantly appointed, Five-Star Suite or Stateroom, each with a private bathroom and private balcony.
- Captain’s Welcome and Farewell Receptions.
- Complimentary alcoholic and nonalcoholic beverages are available throughout the cruise.
- All meals—early continental breakfast, buffet breakfast, buffet lunch, afternoon tea and dinner—throughout the cruise, featuring fine international and regional cuisine, served at single, unassigned seatings.
- Wine is served with lunch and dinner.
- Complimentary Wi-Fi throughout the ship.
- Full-day excursion into the Scottish Highlands, with visits to Fort William, Glenfinnan and Glencoe.
- Tour of iconic 13th-century Eilean Donan Castle, arguably the most widely recognized castles in the world.
- Scenic excursion into the beautifully to visit Dunvegan Castle and its spectacular gardens on the Isle of Skye.
- Exclusive, specially arranged lecture by the director and head archaeologist of the Ness of Brodgar archaeological site.
- Scenic excursion to the UNESCO World Heritage sites of the Orkney Islands’ Neolithic Ring of Brodgar and 5000-year-old Skara Brae.
- Excursion in medieval Kirkwall to see St. Magnus Cathedral in medieval Kirkwall.
- Traditional Scottish storytelling and the distinctive melodies of Scotland’s iconic bagpipe.
- Excursion to the 5000-year-old prehistoric site of Jarlshof on Scotland’s remote Shetland Islands.
- Visit to Bryggen, Bergen’s historic waterfront, a UNESCO World Heritage site, and a specially arranged tour of Troldhaugen, the home of composer Edvard Grieg.
- Spectacular cruise through the picturesque Sognefjord, Norway’s longest fjord, and UNESCO World Heritage-designated Nærøyfjord (time and weather permitting).
- Round-trip train ride with stunning views on the Flåm Railway, one of the world’s most scenic train rides.
Enhanced Travel Services
- Transfers and luggage handling abroad if your arrival(s)/departure(s) coincide with the scheduled group transfer(s).
- All excursions and visits, as outlined above, with experienced local guides.
- Gratuities to local guides and drivers on included excursions and transfers.
- Complimentary bottled water in your Suite or Stateroom and on excursions.
- Hospitality desk aboard ship.
- Complimentary use of an audio headset guided excursions.
- Experienced Gohagan & Company Travel Director at your service.
- Automatic $250,000 flight insurance policy for each participant ticketed on flights by
- Gohagan & Company.