Professor of History
The Scottish Isles, Faroe Islands & Iceland
A Voyage Aboard the New 152-Guest VEGA
Date: Wed, May 4, 2022 - Mon, May 16, 2022
Trip Status: Taking Reservations
Price: from $9,790
Activity Level: Moderate
Region: Europe & Russia
Arrangements: Thalassa JourneysDownload the brochure
From the green land of Scotland to Iceland, the island of fire and ice, this voyage aboard the new superb expedition cruises ship Vega, which accommodates only 152 guests, combines Scotland’s lush isles of the Orkneys and Shetlands, and the remote Faroe archipelago, which is part of Denmark, with the awesome natural beauty of Iceland. After spending a day exploring historic Edinburgh’s land mark sites in the medieval Old Town and the Georgian-styled New Town, we will embark our cruise ship and set sail, cruising along Scotland’s east coast to Aberdeen, our gateway to the fabled castle country, and the Orkney and Shetland Islands, where on lush hillsides we find important archaeological sites that date from the Neolithic to the Medieval periods, and bucolic villages and towns. Following in the wake of the Vikings, we will continue to the rugged Faroe islands, where headlands and coastal cliffs harbor huge colonies of birds, and Iceland. Here, our shore excursions will reveal a land of superlative glaciers, lava fields, thermal lagoons, and magnificent fjords. We will also have opportunities to meet with the Icelanders, who have harnessed nature to develop one of Europe’s most progressive and prosperous societies.
- May 4 Depart the USA
- May 5 Arrive in Edinburgh. Transfer to hotel
- May 6 Tour of Edinburgh and embark on Vega
- May 7 Aberdeen, Scotland
- May 8 Stromness, Orkney Islands
- May 9 Lerwick, Shetland Islands
- May 10 Torshavn, Faroe Islands
- May 11 At sea/Djupivogur, Iceland
- May 12 Djupivogur
- May 13 Husavik/Akureyri
- May 14 Akureyri
- May 15 Isafjordur & Vigur Island
- May 16 Reykjavik. Disembark. Return to USA
Note: An optional 2-night extension in Reykjavik will be offered.
- One night at Edinburgh’s The Balmoral Hotel (or similar) including full breakfast.
- Cocktail reception at the hotel.
- 11-day cruise from Edinburgh, Scotland, to Reykjavik, Iceland.
- Airport/hotel/pier transfers and handling of luggage in Edinburgh and Reykjavik.
- Complete program of tours and shore excursions ashore.
- Private Duke cocktail reception aboard ship.
- Lectures by accompanying Duke professor and on board team of experts.
- All meals aboard the ship, with a selections of wines, beer and soft drinks during lunch and dinner.
- Open bar throughout the cruise with select alcoholic beverages.
- Welcome and farewell cocktail receptions aboard the ship hosted by the captain.
- Coffee, including espresso and cappuccino, tea and soft drinks aboard the ship throughout the day and night.
- 24-hour room service.
- Gratuities to ship’s crew, guides, drivers and porters.
- Basic Wi-Fi aboard the ship.
- All local taxes and service charges, including port and embarkation taxes.
- Complete pre-departure material.
Reservations and Information
To reserve, complete a registration form in the brochure and mail to Duke Travels, Box 90572, Durham, NC 27708, or call (919) 684-2988 to reserve conveniently over the phone and let us know you are mailing your reservation form to hold your space.
To learn more about our travel program or any of our upcoming trips, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 919-684-2988