Professor in the Sandford School of Public Policy
Changing Tides of History: Cruising the Baltic Sea
Featuring Guest Speakers Lech Wałęsa, Former President of Poland, and Dr. Sergei N. Khrushchev, son of Nikita Khrushchev Exclusively Chartered, Five-Star Small Ship LE DUMONT D’URVILLE
Date: Sun, June 23, 2019 - Tue, July 2, 2019
Trip Status: Taking Pre-registration
Price: from approximately $6,495 per person
Activity Level: Moderate
Arrangements: Thomas P. Gohagan & Co.Download the brochure
Experience the cultural rebirth of the Baltic states, the magnificent imperial riches of St. Petersburg and the luminous “White Nights of Summer” on this remarkable six-country, eight-night Baltic Sea cruise. Enjoy a rare opportunity to hear enriching presentations by former President of Poland Lech Wałęsa and noted author and scholar Sergei N. Khrushchev, son of Soviet Union Premier Nikita Khrushchev. Cruise the Baltic Sea aboard the exclusively chartered, Five-Star Le Dumont d’Urville, from Copenhagen, Denmark, to Stockholm, Sweden, with an excursion included in every port. Immerse yourself in the historic epicenter of the Solidarity movement in Gda´nsk, Poland; revel in the medieval charms of Tallinn, Estonia, and Visby, Sweden, both UNESCO World Heritage sites; and discover the stunning architecture of cosmopolitan Helsinki, Finland. Enjoy two days exploring regal St. Petersburg, including a specially arranged early entry into the world-acclaimed State Hermitage Museum, a visit to Peter and Paul Fortress and an excursion to Catherine’s Palace and Petrodvorets, two UNESCO World Heritage sites. Wonders of Norway Pre-Cruise and Splendors of Stockholm Post-Cruise Options.
Denmark, Poland, Estonia, St. Petersburg, Finland, Sweden
- Depart the U.S. or Canada
- Copenhagen, Denmark/Embark Le Dumont d’Urville
- Gda´nsk, Poland
- Cruising the Baltic Sea
- Tallinn, Estonia
- St. Petersburg, Russia
- St. Petersburg
- Helsinki, Finland
- Visby, Gotland Island, Sweden
- Stockholm/Disembark ship/Return to the U.S. or Canada
*Cruise itinerary is subject to change.
A rare private opportunity featuring
Lech Wał˛esa, former President of Poland and Leader of Poland’s Solidarity Movement
Sergei Khrushchev, noted author and award-winning scholar and
son of Soviet Premier Nikita Khrushchev
- Blue Eye—a multisensory innovation—the first ever luxury underwater observation lounge featuring large subaquatic windows, bionics and biomimetics, wall-mounted digital screens and a specially designed global listening system to immerse you in the wondrous sights and sounds of marine life beneath the surface of the ocean.
- Enriching individual presentations with time for questions and answers.
- Tremendous once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and excellent value.
- Exclusively chartered cruise aboard the newest Five-Star small ship Le Dumont d’Urville, launching in 2019, with access to ports unavailable to larger vessels.
- Private balcony for every Suite and Stateroom—only 92!
- Complimentary alcoholic and nonalcoholic beverages and complimentary Wi-Fi throughout the cruise; all meals are included aboard ship.
- Spectacular eight-night, six-country Baltic Sea program visiting Denmark, Poland, Estonia, Russia, Finland and Sweden.
- Featuring up to nine UNESCO World Heritage sites.
- A shore excursion included in every port—Gda´nsk, Tallinn, St. Petersburg, Helsinki and Visby.
- Two full days docked in the heart of St. Petersburg.
- Wonders of Norway Pre-Cruise and Splendors of Stockholm Post-Cruise Options.
Reservations and Information
To reserve, complete a registration form in the brochure and fax it to (919) 660-0148 or call (919) 684-2988 to reserve conveniently over the phone.
To learn more about our travel program or any of our upcoming trips, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 919-684-2988
Mode of Travel
Ocean Cruise: M.S. Le Soléal
Five-Star Small Ship Le Dumont d’Urville
Le Dumont d’Urville marks a new generation of Five-Star small ships, which combine revolutionary design and new standard of luxury for an unparalleled expedition cruising experience. In the spirit of history’s great explorers, Le Dumont d’Urville, launching in 2019, ventures where no ship has gone before, navigating remote destinations where authentic encounters with captivating cultures, spectacular wildlife and majestic scenery await you.
Exclusive to the Ponant Explorers fleet is the extraordinary Blue Eye, a multisensory underwater observation lounge that incorporates bionic and biomimetic decor and technology to immerse you in the beauty of the ocean’s ecosystem. Observe fascinating marine life, from melodic whales and graceful dolphins to majestic sea turtles and translucent jellyfish through the large subaquatic windows, enhanced by underwater illumination that runs the length of the ship. Digital screens and the specially designed global listening system relay the sights and sounds beneath the surface of the ocean.
The newest addition to Ponant’s “Clean Ship” fleet, a rare designation among ocean-cruising vessels, the ship is energy efficient and eco-friendly, protecting fragile marine ecosystems while providing a safe and comfortable voyage. Le Dumont d’Urville includes 92 elegant Five-Star Stateroom and Suites, each featuring a private balcony. Grand Deluxe Suites have a bay window and spacious private terrace. Accommodations offer two twin beds or one queen bed, individual climate control and luxurious hotel amenities.
Dine indoors or alfresco on international and regional cuisine served in the stylish, spacious indoor‑outdoor restaurant, at the casual pool deck grill or from 24‑hour room service. Daily meals include continental and buffet breakfasts, buffet lunch, afternoon tea and a four‑course dinner.
Inspired by the natural and nautical worlds, the warm and inviting public areas are marked by a refined elegance. Enjoy sweeping views from the lounges, which open to the outdoors, and lectures, cultural performances or film screenings in the state‑of‑the‑art theater. Relax in the spa and sauna rooms or the Sun Deck’s infinity-style swimming pool. The ship has a beauty salon, fitness room and, for your convenience, two elevators. Complimentary Wi-Fi is available throughout the ship. The highly trained, English‑speaking crew are personable and attentive, and the ship has an infirmary staffed with a doctor and nurse.
Acclaimed Guest Speakers
- Former Polish President and Nobel Peace Prize Laureate Lech Wałęsa.
- Scholar and author Sergei Khrushchev, son of Soviet Union Premier Nikita Khrushchev.
On board the exclusively chartered,
Five-Star Small Ship Le Dumont d’Urville
- Eight-night cruise from Copenhagen, Denmark, to Stockholm, Sweden, featuring port calls at Gda´nsk, Poland; Tallinn, Estonia; St. Petersburg, Russia; Helsinki, Finland; and Visby, Sweden.
- Elegantly appointed, Five-Star Suite or Stateroom, each with a private bathroom and private balcony.
- Captain’s Welcome and Farewell Receptions.
- Complimentary alcoholic and nonalcoholic beverages are available throughout the cruise.
- All meals—early continental breakfast, buffet breakfast, buffet lunch, afternoon tea and dinner—throughout the cruise, featuring fine international and regional cuisine, served at single, unassigned seatings.
- Wine is served with lunch and dinner.
- Complimentary Wi-Fi throughout the ship.
- Blue Eye—the world’s first luxury, multisensory, underwater observatory.
- Tour of the storied port city of Gda´nsk, including its historic Lenin Shipyard and Old Town.
- Walking tour of Tallinn’s historic and medieval quarters, a UNESCO World Heritage site.
- Specially arranged, early entry to St. Petersburg’s world-renowned State Hermitage Museum, a UNESCO World Heritage site.
- City tour of St. Petersburg, a UNESCO World Heritage site, featuring a visit to the impressive
Peter and Paul Fortress.
- Excursion to two UNESCO World Heritage sites—Peter the Great’s Petrodvorets and Catherine the Great’s Palace in Pushkin, featuring the acclaimed Amber Room—including a lunch of traditional Russian specialties.
- City tour of Helsinki featuring a visit to Temppeliaukio Church and a view of the old fortifications of the UNESCO World Heritage site of Suomenlinna.
- Walking tour of the UNESCO World Heritage-designated Visby, a historic former Hanseatic city on the island of Gotland.
Enhanced Travel Services
- Transfers and luggage handling abroad if your arrival(s)/departure(s) coincide with the scheduled group transfer(s).
- All excursions and visits, as outlined above, with experienced local guides.
- Gratuities to local guides and drivers on included excursions and transfers.
- Group visa is included for excursions in Russia.
- Optional Russian folklore performance in St. Petersburg available at additional cost.
- Complimentary bottled water in your Suite or Stateroom and on excursions.
- Hospitality desk aboard ship.
- Experienced Gohagan & Company Travel Directors at your service.
- Complimentary use of an audio headset during guided excursions.
- Automatic $250,000 usd flight insurance policy for each participant ticketed on flights by Gohagan & Company.
Wonders of Norway
Bergen u Fjords u Oslo u Copenhagen
by Flåm Mountain Railway and Coastal Ferry
Immerse yourself in majestic Norwegian landscapes and traditional Scandinavian culture on this unique and exclusive five-night journey from Bergen to Copenhagen. Tour the historic city of Bergen, including Bryggen (the old wharf), a UNESCO World Heritage site, and visit Troldhaugen, the home of famed composer Edvard Grieg. Travel on the legendary Flåm Railway, one of the “most scenic train rides in the world,” through pristine fjordlands, passing snowcapped mountains, cascading waterfalls and alpine lakes. Cruise by private ship in spectacular Nærøy Fjord, a UNESCO World Heritage site, see the highlights of vibrant Oslo and enjoy an exclusively chartered cruise along Copenhagen’s idyllic canals. Accommodations are for four nights in comfortable hotels, including the historic Stalheim Hotel, and one night aboard an award-winning Seaways ferry.
Splendors of Stockholm
A Royal and Nobel City
One of the most handsome Scandinavian cities, Stockholm is a harmonious blend of medieval and modern architecture showcased on 14 small islands connected by more than 23 bridges. Visit the magnificent City Hall, the site of the annual Nobel Prize banquet. Walk through the historic Gamla Stan (Old Town) and visit the maritime museum built to house the Vasa, the only preserved
17th-century war ship in the world. Accommodations are for two nights in the ideally located Sheraton Stockholm Hotel.
Pre- and Post-Cruise Options are available at additional cost. Details will be included with your reservation confirmation.