Professor of Biogeochemistry and Senior Associate Dean for Research and Doctoral Programs
Greece & the Greek Isles
An Aegean Odyssey Cruising aboard the Exclusively Chartered Five-Star Small Ship LE JACQUES CARTIER
Date: Fri, October 8, 2021 - Sat, October 16, 2021
Trip Status: Taking Reservations
Price: From $4,795 plus air
Activity Level: Moderate
Region: Europe & Russia
Arrangements: Thomas P. Gohagan & Co.Download the brochure
Day 2: Athens, Greece/Embark Le Bougainville
Day 3: Delos/Mykonos
Day 4: Kuşadasi, Turkey, for Ephesus
Day 5: Pátmos, Greece
Day 6: Rhodes/Lindos
Day 7: Santorini/Akrotiri
Day 8: Nafplion for Mycenae and Epidaurus
Day 9: Athens/Disembark ship/Return to the U.S. or Canada
- Introducing the extraordinary Blue Eye, the world’s first multisensory, underwater observation lounge.
- Uniquely created seven-night cruise itinerary following Gohagan & Company’s tradition of innovative, small ship programming.
- Exclusively chartered cruise aboard the new Five‑Star expedition ship Le Bougainville, launching in 2019.
- Only 92 Suites and Staterooms—each with a private balcony!
- Visit up to nine UNESCO World Heritage sites.
- Call on islands steeped in myth and history—Delos, Mykonos, Pátmos, Santorini and medieval Rhodes.
- Visit towering Meteora, where 24 Orthodox monasteries stand high atop natural sandstone pinnacles.
- Walk through the fabled Lion Gate of the legendary city of Mycenae.
- Explore the monumental ruins of the Sanctuary of Asklepios in historic Epidaurus.
- Complimentary alcoholic and nonalcoholic beverages throughout the cruise and complimentary Wi-Fi aboard ship.
- Athens Pre-Cruise and Ancient Olympia Post-Cruise Options.
Experience the ancient city of Athens unmatched in its contributions to the foundation of the Western world. Explore the monumental Acropolis, a UNESCO World Heritage site, and the perfectly proportioned Parthenon. Tour the archaeological treasures of the Acropolis Museum and enjoy the colorful neighborhood of Plaka, the oldest section of Athens. Discover the idyllic coves and sparkling Aegean waters of Cape Sounion and follow the ancient route of Pericles to the Temple of Poseidon, where, remarkably, 15 of the original 34 Doric columns are still standing. Accommodations are for two nights in the deluxe Hotel Grande Bretagne, Athens.
Oracle of Delphi and Antiquities of Thebes
One of the most spectacular of all ancient Greek sites, UNESCO-inscribed Delphi formed the center of the Greek world in the sixth century B.C. Tour the magnificent Archaeological Museum, a treasure trove of ancient artifacts, including the life‑size, fifth‑century B.C. bronze statue of the Charioteer of Delphi. Walk the Sacred Way to the Panhellenic sanctuary of Delphi, second only to the Athens Acropolis in importance. Stand at the marble Altar of the Chians, where the common and the mighty awaited the oracle’s pronouncements. Discover the importance of ancient Thebes to Greek civilization—from the Bronze Age and Mycenaean eras until its destruction by Alexander the Great in 335 B.C.—at the superb Archaeological Museum of Thebes. Accommodations are for one night in the Domotel Anemolia Village Mountain Resort in Arachova near Delphi and one night in the Sofitel Athens Airport Hotel.
Reservations and Information
To reserve, complete a registration form in the brochure and mail to Duke Travels, Box 90572, Durham, NC 27708, or call (919) 684-2988 to reserve conveniently over the phone and let us know you are mailing your reservation form to hold your space.
To learn more about our travel program or any of our upcoming trips, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 919-684-2988