Island Life of Ancient Greece
An Aegean Odyssey
Date: Thu, October 4, 2018 - Fri, October 12, 2018
Trip Status: Waiting for the brochure
Price: from approximately $5,195 per person
Activity Level: Moderate
Arrangements: Thomas P. Gohagan & Co.
Join us for this unparalleled and comprehensive nine-day Aegean odyssey to the very cradle of Western civilization and the classical world. Cruise round trip Athens, Greece, aboard the exclusively chartered, Five-Star small ship m.s. Le Lyrial, launched in 2015 and featuring only 110 Suites and Staterooms. Call on Crete, Santorini, Delos, Mykonos, Pátmos and medieval Rhodes—islands steeped in myth and history. Visit the extraordinary wonder of Meteora, where 14th- and 15th-century monasteries stand high atop soaring natural sandstone pinnacles, and walk through one of the most legendary sites in all of antiquity—the Palace of Minos at Knossos. Enjoy guided tours in these storied destinations, free time to encounter their mysteries and delights at your own pace during the best time of the year, and opportunities to visit nine magnificent UNESCO World Heritage sites. Meet local residents during the specially arranged Island Life Forum® for a personal perspective on the true character of the Aegean Sea’s maritime culture. Extend your voyage with the Athens Pre-Cruise Option and the Peloponnese Post-Cruise Option.
- Depart the U.S.
- Athens, Greece/Embark
- Volos for Meteora
- Rhodes/Lindos Optional Excursion
- Heraklion, for Knossos, Crete
- Athens/Disembark ship/Return to the U.S. or Canada
- Unparalleled and comprehensive Aegean Odyssey exploring iconic jewels and legendary, mythical places.
- Exclusively chartered, seven-night cruise aboard the newest Five-Star small ship Le Lapérouse launching in 2018.
- Only 92 Suites and Staterooms, all featuring a balcony, and access to ports unavailable to larger vessels.
- Exclusive Island LifeÒ Forum for interaction with locals.
- Visit up to seven UNESCO World Heritage sites.
- Call on island steeped in myth and history—Delos, Mykonos, Patmos, Crete, Santorini and medieval Rhodes.
- Visit extraordinary Meteora, where 24 Orthodox monasteries stand high atop natural sandstone pinnacles.
- Walk through one of the most legendary sites in all of antiquity—the Palace of Minos at Knossos, where the mythological hero Theseous conquered the Minotaur.
- Complimentary alcoholic and nonalcoholic beverages throughout the cruise; all meals are included aboard ship.
- Complimentary Wi-Fi throughout the ship.
- Unpack just once!
- Athens Pre-Cruise and Peloponnese Post-Cruise Options.
Reservations and Information
To reserve, complete a registration form in the brochure and fax it to (919) 660-0148 or call (919) 684-2988 to reserve conveniently over the phone.
To learn more about our travel program or any of our upcoming trips, please contact us at email@example.com or 919-684-2988
Mode of Travel
Five-Star, exclusively chartered small ship Le Lapérouse
New Five-Star State-of-the-Art Design
Five-Star Le Lapérouse, launching in 2018, represents newest generation of innovative small ship cruising. Designed specifically with the environment in mind, this small ship can navigate narrow channels, shallow bays and inlets and sensitive ecological environments during luxury expedition cruises, going where no large ship has gone before and remaining energy efficient and environmentally protective of marine ecosystems, while its reinforced hull and custom stabilizers provide passengers a safe and comfortable voyage. Le Lapérouse is among a fleet of ships awarded the prestigious “Clean Ship” designation due to their advanced eco-friendly features, a rarity among ocean-cruising vessels.
Elegantly Appointed Suites and Staterooms, 100% Ocean View with Private Balconies
Each air-conditioned deluxe Stateroom and Suite (up to 484 square feet) has a sliding glass door that opens onto a private balcony; Grand Deluxe Suites have a bay window and larger private balcony. Most accommodations offer two twin beds that convert into one queen bed, all feature a private bathroom with shower, luxurious Five-Star hotel amenities, minibar with complimentary beverages, individual climate control, satellite flat-screen television, safe, full-length closet, writing desk/dressing table and plush robes.
Chic and Casual Dining
International and regional cuisine is served indoors or alfresco in the stylish, spacious indoor‑outdoor restaurant in single, unassigned seatings; on the casual pool deck grill; or from 24-hour room service. Complimentary alcoholic and nonalcoholic beverages are available throughout the cruise. Continental and buffet breakfasts, buffet lunch, afternoon tea, and a four-course dinner are served daily. Wine is served at your table with lunch and dinner.
Spacious Public Areas/World-Class Service and Facilities
In keeping with the low passenger density, public areas are spacious and inviting, and they can accommodate all passengers comfortably. Enjoy views from the Observation lounge and nightly entertainment in the main lounge, which both open to the outdoors; and take in lectures, cultural performances and film screenings in the state-of-the-art theater. The three-level marina platform includes an infinity-style swimming pool and watersports facility. The ship has a Sun Deck, beauty salon, spa, fitness equipment, two elevators and an infirmary staffed with a doctor and a nurse. Complimentary Wi-Fi is available throughout the ship. The highly trained, English-speaking international crew provides personable and attentive service. The ship has 10 Zodiacs.
- Seven-night cruise round trip Athens, Greece, with port calls at Volos for Meteora, Delos, Mykonos, Pátmos, Rhodes and Santorini; and Heraklion for Knossos, Crete.
- Elegantly appointed, Five-Star Suite or Stateroom, each with a private bathroom.
- Captain’s Welcome and Farewell Receptions.
- Complimentary alcoholic and nonalcoholic beverages are available throughout the cruise.
- All meals—early continental breakfast, buffet breakfast, buffet lunch, afternoon tea and dinner—throughout the cruise, featuring fine international and regional cuisine, served at single, unassigned seatings.
- Wine is served with lunch and dinner.
- Complimentary Wi-Fi is available throughout the ship.
- Expert-Guided Excursions
- Excursion to the extraordinary UNESCO World Heritage site of Meteora, where 14th- and 15th-century Greek Orthodox monasteries sit atop towering natural sandstone pinnacles, with lunch.
- Walking tour of medieval Rhodes Town, a UNESCO World Heritage site, with a visit to the 14th‑century Palace of the Grand Masters of the Knights of St. John.
- Visit to the Acropolis of Lindos.
- Tour of the Cave of the Apocalypse and the Monastery of St. John, a UNESCO World Heritage site, on the island of Pátmos.
- Walking tour of UNESCO World Heritage‑designated Delos’ splendid classical ruins including the Sanctuary of Apollo and the theater quarter.
- Tour of Santorini, featuring a visit to the renowned Museum of Prehistoric Thera and a cable car ride down from the hilltop town.
Exclusive Cultural Enrichments
- Guided tour of the phenomenal Minoan site of Bronze-Age Akrotiri.
- Time at leisure to explore Heraklion and the islands of Mykonos, Rhodes and Pátmos.
- Tour the extraordinary frescoed Palace of Minos at Knossos, where Theseus of Greek mythology prevailed.
- Visit to Heraklion’s Archaeological Museum, featuring the world’s best collection of Minoan antiquities.
- Choice of a half-day excursion in Lindos to the Acropolis or an afternoon at leisure in Rhodes.
- Island Life® Forum with local residents who will discuss contemporary life on the ancient islands of the Aegean Sea.
- Traditional Greek music and dance performance.
- Introduction to Greek language basic phrases.
- Special culinary presentation given by the ship’s pastry chef.
Classical Athens Pre-Cruise Option
Experience the ancient city unmatched in its contributions to the foundations of the Western world—Athens, the birthplace of democracy. Explore the enduring grandeur encapsulated in the spectacular Acropolis, a UNESCO World Heritage site, and the gracefully proportioned Parthenon, a perfect example of Doric architecture, dedicated to the goddess Athena in 438 B.C. See the archaeological treasures of the Acropolis Museum, and tour the mystical UNESCO World Heritage site of Delphi. This Pre-Cruise Option features two nights in the deluxe Athenaeum InterContinental Athens Hotel, Athens.
The Extraordinary Peloponnese Post-Cruise Option
The distillation of all that is Greek, the Peloponnese region is home to many more of the country’s greatest classical ruins. Visit the picturesque fishing port of Nafplio, widely considered the most beautiful city in Greece. In Epidaurus, see the purest masterpiece of classical Greek architecture—the fourth-century B.C. 14,000-seat theater of the UNESCO World Heritage-designated Sanctuary of Asklepios. Explore the ancient citadel of Mycenae, a UNESCO World Heritage site, from which, in Homer’s epic The Iliad, King Agamemnon led the Greek army to battle the Trojans in Sparta. In ancient Corinth, admire the imposing sixth-century Temple of Apollo, and cruise the fabled Corinth Canal, a once-in-a-lifetime experience. This Post-Program Option features two nights in a deluxe, centrally located hotel in Nafplio and one night in the deluxe Sofitel Athens Airport Hotel, Athens.
Pre-Cruise and Post-Cruise Options are available at additional cost. Details will be provided with your reservation confirmation.