Springtime in Provence, Burgundy & Beaujolais
Cruising the Rhône and Saône Rivers - Exclusively Chartered, Deluxe, Small River Ship m.s Amadeus Provence
Date: Wed, May 6, 2020 - Thu, May 14, 2020
Trip Status: Taking Reservations
Price: From $3,995
Activity Level: Moderate
Arrangements: Thomas P. Gohagan & Co.Download the brochure
Join this specially arranged, exclusive, nine-day French sojourn in world-famous Provence and in the Burgundy and Beaujolais wine regions during springtime, the best time of year to visit. Cruise from historic Lyon to Provençal Arles along the fabled Rhône and Saône Rivers aboard the exclusively chartered, deluxe Amadeus Provence. Enjoy an excursion to the Beaujolais vineyards for a private wine tasting at the Château Montmelas and a walking tour of Lyon, France’s gastronomique gateway. Dock in the heart of port towns and visit the legendary Hôtel-Dieu in Beaune, the Roman city of Orange, the medieval Papal Palace of Avignon and the wonderfully preserved Roman Amphitheater in Arles. The carefully designed Pre-Cruise Option features cosmopolitan Geneva, Switzerland, and the beautiful town of Chamonix, France, at the base of spectacular Mont Blanc. The Palette of Provence Post-Cruise Option immerses you in the vibrant culture of the quintessential Provençal region.
Lyon, Mâcon, Beaune, Tournon, Orange, Pont du Gard, Avignon, Arles, Marseille
- Depart the U.S. or Canada
- Lyon, France/Embark Amadeus Provence
- Chalon-sur-Saône for Beaune/Mâcon for Beaujolais/Montmerle-sur-Saône
- Saint-Étienne-des-Sorts for Orange/Châteauneuf-du-Pape for Pont du Gard/Avignon
- Arles/Disembark ship/Marseille/Return to the U.S. or Canada
*Cruise itinerary subject to change.
- Exclusively chartered, deluxe small ship, an intimate cruising experience.
- Specially designed, one-of-a-kind itinerary cruising France’s storied Rhône and Saône Rivers during the best season to visit.
- One port call every day, often docking in the very heart of each charming French city, town or village—all excursions included.
- Visit six UNESCO World Heritage sites.
- Tour captivating Lyon, France’s gastronomique gateway.
- Exclusive tour of the Beaujolais wine region’s 10th-century Château Montmelas, guided by the châtelaine, with a specially arranged fortepiano concert and wine tasting.
- Complimentary wine and beer with lunch and dinner aboard ship.
- Complimentary Wi-Fi throughout the ship.
- Specially arranged, educational lectures.
- Geneva and the French Alps Pre-Cruise and Palette of Provence Post-Cruise Options.
Geneva and the French Alps Pre-Cruise Option
Delight in the mountainous beauty of the Savoie Mont-Blanc region at the convergence of France, Switzerland and Italy. Visit the world-class city of Geneva, ideally located on the crystalline shores of the largest lake on the course of the Rhône, fed by the waters flowing through the valleys of the Swiss Alps. Enjoy a specially arranged tour of the interior chambers of the Palais des Nations, a United Nations headquarters; and explore the picturesque French village of Chamonix, the historic capital of alpine skiing and host of the first Winter Olympic Games in 1924. Accommodations are for three nights in the deluxe, centrally located Hotel Bristol Geneve.
Palette of Provence Post-Cruise Option
Discover the beautiful, medieval city of Aix-en-Provence, located in the heart of France’s golden Provençal region and which perhaps captures best the quintessential élan of all that is Provence. Walk in the footsteps of Paul Cézanne and discover the rich history, renowned cuisine and vibrant culture of Aix. Visit one of the colorful daily markets, stroll through the Mazarin district and old Aix. Enjoy lunch in the city’s oldest café on the famous Cours Mirabeau, a classic, grand boulevard lined with plane trees, cafés, fountains and elegant 17th- and 18th-century townhouses. Accommodations for two nights are in the ideally located, deluxe Grand Hôtel Roi René.
Reservations and Information
To reserve, complete a registration form in the brochure and fax it to (919) 660-0148 or call (919) 684-2988 to reserve conveniently over the phone.
To learn more about our travel program or any of our upcoming trips, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 919-684-2988
Mode of Travel
River Cruise: M.S. Amadeus Provence
The meticulous crafting of the deluxe m.s. Amadeus Provence, launching in 2017, sets new standards in design and technology and features the comforts of a refined and traditional hotel.
This exclusively chartered ship offers 68 river-view, air-conditioned, stylishly appointed Suites (284 square feet) and Staterooms (from 172 square feet), among the most spacious of any European river ship. All Suites include a private balcony and select Staterooms feature a unique floor-to-ceiling panoramic window whose upper half can automatically lower to create a French balcony. Accommodations have two twin beds (convertible to one queen-size bed), a private bathroom with shower, individual climate control, walk-in closet, telephone, television, writing desk, sitting area, safe and hair dryer. Most accommodations have a mini-bar.
Freshly prepared continental meals featuring local ingredients are served in single, unassigned seatings in the ship’s delightfully scenic Panorama Restaurant and include early-risers’ coffee, buffet breakfast and lunch, afternoon tea, four-course dinner and late-evening snack. Complimentary wine and beer are served with lunch and dinner.
Inviting public facilities are spacious and include the Panorama Bar, Lido Bar, Amadeus Club with Internet Station, an outdoor river terrace, beauty salon, boutique and fitness studio with early morning classes and massage services. The Sun Deck has a swimming pool, lounge chairs, shaded awnings, chessboard and shuffleboard. Guests will also appreciate the complimentary Wi-Fi during the cruise and the use of an audio headset for listening enhancement during shore excursions.
Complimentary onboard bicycles are available when the ship is in port for passengers to ride along riverside paths. The ship has an elevator serving all passenger decks except the Sun Deck, and laundry service is available. There is no doctor aboard ship.
The English-speaking, international crew provides warm hospitality. The m.s. Amadeus Provence meets the highest safety standards and is one of the only European river ships to have been awarded the “Green Certificate” of environmental preservation.
On board the exclusively chartered, deluxe m.s. Amadeus Provence
- Seven-night cruise from Arles to Lyon with port calls at Avignon, Châteauneuf-du-Pape for Orange and Pont du Gard, Tournon, Vienne, Chalon-sur-Saône for Beaune, Mâcon for Cluny and Montmerle for Beaujolais, France.
- Deluxe, river-view, air-conditioned Suite or Stateroom, each with a private bathroom.
- All meals served at single seatings—early-risers’ coffee, buffet breakfast and lunch, afternoon tea, four-course dinner and late-evening snack—featuring fine continental cuisine.
- Complimentary wine and beer are served with lunch and dinner.
- Captain’s Welcome and Farewell Receptions.
- Specially arranged wine tasting with a local expert.
On the Rhône and Saône Rivers
- Walking tour of Arles, a UNESCO World Heritage site, highlighted by visits to the Roman Amphitheater and the Cathedral of St. Trophime.
- Walking tour of Avignon, a UNESCO World Heritage site, featuring the imposing Papal Palace and the famous medieval Pont d’Avignon.
- Visit to the Roman City of Orange featuring the ancient Roman theater and the famous Pont du Gard aqueduct, both UNESCO World Heritage sites.
- Visit to the twin cities of Tournon and Tain-l’Hermitage, the birthplace of the Syrah grape variety.
- Walking tour of Vienne, featuring its impressive architectural treasures, including ancient Roman ruins and the ornate, medieval Cathédral de St-Maurice.
- Full-day in historic Lyon with walking tour of Old Lyon, a UNESCO World Heritage site.
- Visit to the UNESCO World Heritage-designated town of Beaune, known for its Burgundy wines and the iconic 15th-century Hôtel-Dieu, one of the best examples of 15th-century French architecture in the world.
- Private, specially arranged tour of the medieval Château de Rully amidst the Burgundy vineyards, hosted by Count de Ternay, ancestral owner of the estate.
- Visit to 10th-century Cluny Abbey, once the largest structure in the Christian world.
- Excursion to the vineyards of Beaujolais for a private tour, exclusive fortepiano concert and wine tasting hosted by the châtelaine, Madame d’Harcourt, in her personal residence, Château de Montmelas.
Palette of Provence Pre-Program Option
Discover the beautiful, medieval city of Aix-en-Provence, located in the heart of France’s
sun-drenched Provençal region—a city that captures the quintessential élan of all that is Provence. Walk in the footsteps of Paul Cézanne and discover the rich history, renowned cuisine and vibrant culture of Aix. Visit one of its colorful daily markets, stroll through the Mazarin district and old Aix and enjoy lunch in the city’s oldest café on the famous Cours Mirabeau, a classic, grand boulevard lined with plane trees and elegant 17th- and 18th-century townhouses. Accommodations for two nights are in the ideally located, deluxe Grand Hôtel Roi René.
Geneva and the French Alps Post-Program Option
Delight in the unique beauty and dramatic scenery of the Savoie Mont-Blanc region where France, Switzerland and Italy converge. Visit the world-class city of Geneva, ideally located on the magnificent shores of scenic Lake Geneva. Enjoy a specially arranged tour of the interior chambers of the Palais des Nations, a United Nations Headquarters, and explore the picturesque French village of Chamonix, the historic capital of alpine skiing and host of the first Winter Olympic Games in 1924. Accommodations are for three nights in the Intercontinental Geneva a deluxe, centrally located hotel.
The Pre-Program and Post-Program Options are available at additional cost. Details will be provided with your reservation confirmation.