An Aegean Odyssey
Date: Fri, October 8, 2021 - Sat, October 16, 2021
Trip Status: Waiting for the brochure
Price: From $4,995
Activity Level: Moderate
Arrangements: Gohagan & Co.
Journey to the cradle of Western civilization and the classical world on our comprehensive nine-day Aegean Odyssey. Explore the exquisitely preserved treasures and mythical landscapes of ancient Greece, uncovering layers of architectural history. Cruise to fabled halcyon islands from antiquity aboard the exclusively chartered, state‑of‑the‑art, Five‑Star Le Bougainville. Our epic voyage calls on the islands of Delos, Mykonos, Pátmos, Rhodes, Santorini and the Peloponnese Peninsula. Visit the spectacular ancient city of Ephesus, arguably the finest extant example of a Greco-Roman classical city. Walk through the fabled Lion Gate of legendary Mycenae and explore the monumental ruins of the Sanctuary of Asklepios of Epidaurus. Enjoy guided tours in these storied destinations, visit up to eight magnificent UNESCO World Heritage sites and experience the time-honored traditions and delights of authentic Greek villages. Meet and engage with local residents who will discuss contemporary life on the islands of the Aegean Sea during the specially arranged Island Life®️ Forum. Extend your voyage with the Classical Athens and Mythical Cape Sounion Pre-Program and Oracle of Delphi and Antiquities of Thebes Post-Program Options.
Day 1: Depart the U.S. or Canada
Day 2: Athens, Greece/Embark Le Bougainville
Day 3: Delos/Mykonos
Day 4: Kuşadasi, Turkey, for Ephesus
Day 5: Pátmos, Greece
Day 6: Rhodes/Lindos
Day 7: Santorini/Akrotiri
Day 8: Nafplion for Mycenae and Epidaurus
Day 9: Athens/Disembark ship/Return to the U.S. or Canada
*Itinerary subject to change.
On Board the Exclusively Chartered, Five‑Star Small Ship Le Bougainville
- Seven-night cruise round trip Athens, Greece.
- Elegantly appointed, Five-Star Suite or Stateroom, each with a private balcony.
- Captain’s Welcome and Farewell Receptions.
- Complimentary alcoholic and nonalcoholic beverages available throughout the cruise.
- All meals aboard ship.
- Complimentary Wi-Fi access (conditions permitting).
Expert-Guided Excursions and Exclusive Cultural Enrichments
- Tour of Santorini—which some consider to be the mythological lost city of Atlantis—featuring a visit to the renowned Museum of Prehistoric Thera and a cable car ride.
- Guided tour of the remarkable Minoan site of Bronze Age Akrotiri.
- Time at leisure on the islands of Rhodes and Mykonos to explore at your own pace.
- Choice of a half-day excursion in Lindos to the Acropolis or an afternoon at leisure in Rhodes.
- Island Life®️ Forum with local residents who will discuss life on the islands of the Aegean Sea.
- Traditional Greek music and dance performance.
UNESCO World Heritage Site Highlights
- Excursion from Kuşadasi to the magnificent ruins of Ephesus, one of the Roman Empire’s most important cities, including a visit to the Terrace Houses.
- Walking tour of medieval Rhodes Town, with a visit to the 14th-century Palace of the Grand Masters of the Knights of St. John.
- Tour of the Cave of the Apocalypse and the Monastery of St. John on the island of Pátmos.
- Walking tour of Delos’s splendid classical ruins including the Sanctuary of Apollo and the theater quarter.
- Tour of the ancient archaeological site of Mycenae.
- Excursion to Epidaurus, featuring the Sanctuary of Asklepios and its perfectly preserved theater.
Classical Athens and Mythical Cape Sounion
Experience the ancient city of Athens unmatched in its contributions to the foundation of the Western world. Explore the monumental Acropolis, a UNESCO World Heritage site, and the perfectly proportioned Parthenon. Tour the archaeological treasures of the Acropolis Museum and enjoy the colorful neighborhood of Plaka, the oldest section of Athens. Discover the idyllic coves and sparkling Aegean waters of Cape Sounion and follow the ancient route of Pericles to the Temple of Poseidon, where, remarkably, 15 of the original 34 Doric columns are still standing. Accommodations are for two nights in the deluxe Hotel Grande Bretagne, Athens.
Oracle of Delphi and Antiquities of Thebes
One of the most spectacular of all ancient Greek sites, UNESCO-inscribed Delphi formed the center of the Greek world in the sixth century B.C. Tour the magnificent Archaeological Museum, a treasure trove of ancient artifacts, including the life‑size, fifth‑century B.C. bronze statue of the Charioteer of Delphi. Walk the Sacred Way to the Panhellenic sanctuary of Delphi, second only to the Athens Acropolis in importance. Stand at the marble Altar of the Chians, where the common and the mighty awaited the oracle’s pronouncements. Discover the importance of ancient Thebes to Greek civilization—from the Bronze Age and Mycenaean eras until its destruction by Alexander the Great in 335 B.C.—at the superb Archaeological Museum of Thebes. Accommodations are for one night in the Domotel Anemolia Village Mountain Resort in Arachova near Delphi and one night in the Sofitel Athens Airport Hotel.
Pre-Program and Post-Program Options are available at additional cost. Details will be provided with your reservation confirmation.
Reservations and Information
To reserve, complete a registration form in the brochure and mail to Duke Travels, Box 90572, Durham, NC 27708, or call (919) 684-2988 to reserve conveniently over the phone and let us know you are mailing your reservation form to hold your space.
To learn more about our travel program or any of our upcoming trips, please contact us at email@example.com or 919-684-2988