Passage through the Panama Canal and Costa Rica
Date: Sun, January 24, 2021 - Mon, February 1, 2021
Trip Status: Waiting for the brochure
Price: From $4,995
Activity Level: Active
Region: South America
Arrangements: Gohagan & Co.
Day 1: Depart the U.S. or Canada/Arrive in San José, Costa Rica
Day 2: San José/Puerto Caldera/Embark Le Dumont-d’Urville
Day 3: Curú National Wildlife Refuge/Isla Tortuga
Day 4: Quepos for Manuel Antonio National Park
Day 5: Isla Cébaco, Panama
Day 6: Panama City
Day 7: Panama Canal Transit/Colón
Day 8: San Blas Islands
Day 9: Colón/Disembark ship/Agua Clara Visitor Center*/Panama City/Return to the U.S. or Canada
*Departure flight time permitting. Itinerary subject to change.
In San José, Costa Rica
- One night in the hacienda-style Costa Rica Marriott Hotel with breakfast.
- Tour of San José, including visits to the National Theater and National Museum, with lunch.
On Board the Exclusively Chartered, Five-Star, Small Ship
- Seven-night cruise from Puerto Caldera, Costa Rica, to Colón, Panama.
- Elegantly appointed, Five-Star Suite or Stateroom.
- Captain’s Welcome and Farewell Receptions.
- Complimentary alcoholic and nonalcoholic beverages available throughout the cruise.
- All meals aboard ship.
- Complimentary Wi-Fi access (conditions permitting).
- Blue Eye—the world’s first luxury, multisensory, underwater Observation Lounge.
- Expert onboard naturalist guides to lead small group excursions.
- Guided tour through the Curú National Wildlife Refuge, to see a wide array of wildlife in its natural habitat, including the scarlet macaw and spider monkey.
- Visit to picture-perfect Tortuga Island known for palm-fringed beaches and lush, tropical flora.
- Excursion in stunning and biodiverseManuel Antonio National Park with a naturalist‑led trail walk through the protected rainforest.
- Specially arranged, onboard guitar performance by local Quepos musicians.
- Visit to pristine Isla Cébaco, with time at leisure to swim and snorkel among colorful marine life.
- Tour of Panama City, including a visit to the UNESCO World Heritage site of Casco Antiguo, the Biodiversity Museum and the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute’s Punta Culebra Nature Center.
- Daylight passage through the Panama Canal, accompanied by a historical narration. Transit times through the canal are controlled by the Panama Canal Authority and are subject to traffic conditions.
- Visit to the San Blas Islands archipelago to experience indigenous Guna culture.
Landscapes of Costa Rica
Experience the beauty of Costa Rica’s diverse biospheres, from steamy hot springs to misty cloud forests. In view of towering Arenal Volcano, explore the lush rainforest along a series of suspended and fixed bridges. Tour historic San José, and visit an organic chocolate workshop, an award‑winning coffee estate and a traditional artisan town known for intricately hand-painted woodcrafts. Accommodations are for two nights in the ideally located Hotel Royal Corin and two nights in the hacienda-styleCosta Rica Marriot Hotel.
An exploration of old and new, Panama is the perfect complement to “the crossroads of the Americas.” Visit the UNESCO World Heritage‑designated Panama Viejo to see the ruins of the oldest European settlement on the Pacific American coast; visit the fascinating Agua Clara Visitor Center for panoramic views of the Panama Canal expansion and cruise the Gatún River to meet the indigenous Embera people. Spend two nights in the deluxe BRISTOL PANAMA HOTEL.
The Pre- and Post-Program Options are available at additional cost. Details will be provided with your reservation confirmation.
Pre-Program pricing includes a credit for one night’s accommodations in San José and the San José city tour already included in the cost of the main program.
Reservations and Information
To reserve, complete a registration form in the brochure and mail to Duke Travels, Box 90572, Durham, NC 27708, or call (919) 684-2988 to reserve conveniently over the phone and let us know you are mailing your reservation form to hold your space.
To learn more about our travel program or any of our upcoming trips, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 919-684-2988