DEMAN Past Events
DEMAN Weekend-ish 2020
The 11th annual special-edition, DEMAN Weekend-ish (October 21, 2020), featured “black-ish” and “grown-ish” Duke alumni writers for these award-winning comedy shows. They took us behind the scenes of the creative process, explored cultural themes, and shared their career paths. Instead of traveling to Durham for DEMAN Weekend, this year we brought a stellar, live panel of incredibly talented, creative Dukes to you via Zoom.
Our virtual panel featured:
- Ritza Bloom ’13, Writer, “grown-ish”
- Robb Chavis ’98, Co-Executive Producer, “black-ish”
- Vanessa McGee (Dukie), Executive Story Editor, “grown-ish”
- Mark Anthony Neal, James B. Duke Distinguished Professor and Chair of African & African American Studies (AAAS) Department
As part of DEMAN Weekend-ish, you are invited to watch our signature industry sessions via our new DEMAN Live series page. No registration required for these hour-long virtual episodes featuring exceptional DEMAN alumni from across the country, including NBC’s “Good Girls,” Beats by Dre and MISS JUNETEENTH.
DEMAN Arts & Media Weekend 2019
The 10th annual DEMAN Weekend (Nov 1–2, 2019) gathered together hundreds of students and alumni for more than a dozen workshops, a panel discussions, keynote presentations, and social events. This annual gathering has grown steadily since its founding in 2009, but DEMAN also offers a valuable year-round community of inspiration, resources, and connections. Scroll for stories, photos, and a wrap video of the weekend—we hope to see you at DEMAN 2020!
DEMAN Arts & Media Weekend 2018
November 2-3, 2018 was a busy weekend on campus, with nearly 800 students and 240 alumni joinin
g forces to discuss careers in entertainment, media, and the arts. That makes this event the largest DEMAN Weekend ever! Highlights included: portfolio reviews, StudioDuke, DEMAN talks, a Keynote and Reception at the Nasher and the DEMAN Brunch! A huge thanks to everyone who attended and made the weekend what it was.
DEMAN Arts & Media
Over 850 alumni, students and faculty participated in the 8th annual DEMAN Weekend, the biggest one yet!
Here are a few highlights:
- Friday's DEMAN Talks hosted by nine academic departments and programs featuring alumni speakers
- Over 350 students and alumni attended the keynote conversation and reception at the Nasher Museum with pop-up screen print, poetry and VR stations by local artists
- President Price and Vice Provost for the Arts Scott Lindroth hosted a special alumni breakfast, followed by a sneak peek tour of the Rubenstein Arts Center (with a surprise pop-up performance by Hoof 'n' Horn)
- Saturday's DEMAN Lounge hosted one-on-one portfolio reviews with DEMAN alumni, as well as resume reviews by career counselors
- Saturday's Industry Sessions featured over 80 alumni across creative industries
- Saturday's wrap party at the Devil's Krafthouse awarded the lucky winners of DEMAN Raffle items, including Beats headphones and tour of Paramount Studios
- DEMAN Downtown, hosted by Fuqua's MES Club, gave graduate and professional students a special opportunity to connect with alumn i
DEMAN Arts & Media Weekend 2016
2016 Media Coverage
DEMAN Arts & Media Weekend: Nov. 6-7, 2015
DEMAN 2015 kicked off Nov. 6 with master classes taught by alumni of departments and institutes including art, art history and visual studies; art of the moving image; English; dance; music; theater and the Center for Documentary Studies. That evening alumni, faculty and students came together for an opening DEMAN reception and Duke University Arts silent auction in Penn Pavilion.
The next day began with an exclusive alumni/faculty brunch and university arts update with Provost Sally Kornbluth and Vice Provost for the Arts Scott Lindroth. Brunch was followed by small group workshops with alumni on a wide variety of topics that range from navigating the music industry to creative production and storytelling. The workshops were followed by a keynote address on music, money and meaning from Mike Posner ’09, a multi-platinum singer, songwriter and producer.